Spiritual Exile: Isolation with a Mission

For awhile, I felt like I was on the road to perdition in my life. Have you ever felt that way? You take two steps forward then eight steps back. Doors slam in your face.  Faltering Faith. Sleepless Nights. Slight and Blight Prayer Life. People who said they will never leave your side flee at the slightest breath of opposition? And you find yourself alone. Is it alone or simply solitude? Despite all that happened, I knew that God would not allow me to slip and fall through the cracks, especially when I desperately clung to His hand and the hem of His garment. Then just how did I end up on the island of Patmos?

You know the story, right? In the book of Revelation where John is isolated from humanity and exiled to the island of Patmos, a small rocky island in the Aegean Sea? John reveals that he was preaching the word of God and presenting testimony for Jesus when he was exiled. God’s words to him were, “Write in a book” (Revelation 1:11) and “Write down what you have seen – both the things that are now happening and the things that will happen” (Revelation 1:19).

So imagine my surprise as I was praying for God to show me why I felt spiritually extradited and it seemed no matter how I tried, I could not get in the presence of people who were normally there. John always comes to mind when I go through this trial in my life and I know that in these moments of extreme silence and human absence, that God has set me aside for a purpose in Him. He has an assignment for me to do for His kingdom and if I am busy with my little life, then maybe, I won’t hear Him or see what is before me. As much as it hurts, I am forever grateful for a God who loves me this much. One who desires ALL of me so He can get ALL of my attention.

Today, God instructed me to go to Revelation 1 and read. As I read the book of Revelation, God revealed that He set me aside so I could be prepared to write for the various aspects of my life (journals, books, dissertation, lesson plans for work, etc.) and to clear my mind because He is shifting me in the atmosphere.  I was planning a vacation but I wanted to have a book tour while on vacation. So I kept asking myself how exactly was I vacationing if I didn’t have any alone or “me” time. To answer this for me, God isolated me from everyone. People who I normally entrust with my spiritual life left for the summer, or are too busy with their lives to even stop and acknowledge me, or our friendship is at odds and we are not speaking at the moment. Whatever it is, God is present still and He knows that writing is my catharsis, so I was supposed to write and consult Him this time — NO MAN needed to intervene! Basically, God wanted His rightful place in my life, once and for all. And I was left pondering this……

God is also the ULTIMATE friend and He will always be there for us. At times, there are some times when we need to learn to let GOD be our first resort, instead of running to MAN! There is much work for me to do and some situations in my life would keep me from doing what God wants me to do. After two weeks of praying, I now see that God wants me to spread His Word and share my book as much as I can while I am traveling to various states and events this summer. It is not time for me to rest as I had thought, because God has paved the way for me to witness and along the way, people will bless me in ways unimaginable. And to prove this, I was blessed with a new car which I got the most AWESOME deal on this past Thursday (makes for great and pleasant traveling), and yesterday out of the blue a close friend invited me to Cirque Du Soleil and as soon as I hung up the phone with her, another friend demanded I accept free tickets to Disney World. So imagine if I did not take heed to God’s actions? I would’ve missed my ultimate purpose and perhaps sulked at the thought of “working” while on vacation. When in reality, Christians should be elated and prepared to work for God at any moment. God works behind the scenes and pushes us onstage for the performance.

I had been praying for “Less of Me, More of You” from God and to see Him bring this in fruition left me awestruck, when in actuality, I really shouldn’t be because NOTHING is too hard for our God. If you find yourself in the midst of thousands one day and then alone for days and weeks at a time, God has you in spiritual exile for an ordained purpose for His people. Be vigilant. He wants you to hear Him clearly as He prepares you for the assignment. It may take you out of your comfort zone and away from those you love, but in the end your reward is in heaven.

As I end this blog entry, I feel better because I have communicated with the Father and I am ecstatic about sharing Faith and her friends with youth in Florida and North Carolina. I will go wherever you want me to go, Lord. I will do whatever you want me to do because I know that you will take care of me. You are omnipresent and with me ALWAYS!

About these ads

14 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Ebony Grace
    Jun 03, 2012 @ 21:06:41

Excellent post. I highly recommend reading the book Anonymous, by Alicia Britt Chole. It is an excellent read for this period of your life.

• MiMi Atkins
      Jun 03, 2012 @ 22:10:38

I will. So thanks for your suggestion!

• MiMi Atkins
      Nov 19, 2012 @ 20:00:48

Thank you so much for the recommendation! I appreciate you!

• Eric
        Feb 13, 2013 @ 05:40:27

You aren’t consuming enuogh total energy (calories) for your height, weight, age and gender. Eventually it will catch up with you. Your body will hold on to whatever you do eat, instead of burning it (slower metabolism). High protein diets are not a good idea, take a look at this article by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine regarding high protein diets.Our brain needs carbohydrates to function properly, and carbohydrates are the fuel for our bodies, like gas is fuel for a car. No gas, the engine stops running.Focus on eating adequate amounts of nutrient dense whole foods like fruit, veggies, whole grains (oatmeal, brown rice), legumes (beans, peas, lentils), nuts and seeds every day. If you like milk, use soy, almond, coconut or hemp milk. Find out how many calories you should be consuming daily using one of the free online Daily Energy Expenditure calculators. Then exercise in moderation for healthy muscles and bones.Stay hydrated, get adequate sleep and only weigh yourself once a week. It’s not healthy to stress or obsess over weight. Focus on how you feel, how your clothes fit and how healthy you look after eating healthy and exercising.I’ve studied nutrition for many years and have tried many diets including Atkins so I understand what you are talking about. Focusing on whole foods is the healthiest way to go, you can eat lots of food and not gain weight because they are nutrient dense, yet lower in calories. For the past 2 years, I’ve been eating a minimum of 6 times a day and have never looked and felt healthier, without gaining excess weight. I’m fairly active, strong and you can see muscles in my arms, legs and abs. My total percentage of body fat has never been lower and my blood tests always test perfect. If you had your blood tested it would probably be too high in protein, cholesterol and triglycerides (fat). You want to eat more, eat fruit, veggies, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds every day.

2. Stephen
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 22:22:11

Spiritual Exile! I feel that has been my life for the last few years. God took me away from family, friends, what I was familiar with, and placed me into a new location. I have been seeking Him for an understanding to it all because Iove being with and around people. Slowly I am beginning to understand how far aged will go to arrest my attention. I could speak on this for days because it’s all coming together like a puzzle as I type this. I felt God had placed something in you that I needed to see and hear. May God continue to do amazing though you. Let nothing separate you from Him and the work He has placed at your hands. I don’t know how many you have, but I’m blessed to have you to be an accountability partner with! Pray much for me because this path is narrow and a desire to please Him.

3. MiMi Atkins
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 13:00:02

Thank you for responding, Stephen. Yes, our attention needs to be arrested at time to get us to genuinely understand what it is God is calling us to do. For me it is writing, teaching, and evangelizing. Lord knows, I want to please Him and Him only. You have my prayers!

4. Felicia (The Scribe)
    Sep 28, 2012 @ 23:36:42

Wow, it was by the leading of God that I am reading all that you have posted. I feel your pain that has been turned to gladness. Some of the things that I am believing God to do you have received—–the car, desire to travel, the Disney World trip, going on a real vacation would be too thrilling, even if God says I would work 75% of the time! I am soooo elated! I thank God for your obedience. Writing is not a new gift but at this time, God is bringing it out of dormancy, well no, not out of dormancy, but out of privacy! The Lord makes EVERYTHING beautiful in His time…Ecclesiastes 3:11.Thank you Mimi, let God continue to Author & Finish the work He has begun in you! Blessings!

• MiMi Atkins
      Nov 19, 2012 @ 20:09:24

WOW! Thanks so much for your encouragement and words from the Holy Spirit! I receive them all! God Bless You, love! And yes, I want God to say, “Well done my good and faithful servant!” I really do!

5. Mildred
    Jan 08, 2013 @ 12:41:11

I read your post and thought someone actually understands what I’ve been going through. Then I read the comments and thought “I’m not alone.” LOL

• Nha
      Feb 11, 2013 @ 12:50:10

Now, see I was a perfect paernt when I had just my step daughter and my Kaya. My kids stayed in line, did as I said. I looked at other paernts and wondered why they couldn’t keep their kids in line.Then I had our Luna Blue. She came out screaming and has pushed the line every step of the way.Oh wait, it was my kids’ temperament that made them so obedient, not my paernting? That was a real shocker.So, I send out apologies to the paernts shook my head and at tsk-tsked. I stand corrected and humbled.I have to take this paernting gig day by day. I blow it .a lot.

• xavwdqvxno
      Feb 13, 2013 @ 00:15:56

HkL7iH njbhcjajemdm

• cjmcpb
      Feb 13, 2013 @ 13:47:37

WJ80fe dzhzlhmjamlk

6. Jeremy
    Jan 26, 2013 @ 11:28:00

Great analogy with John and seasons of isolation, and congrats on the book and car!

7. Jess
    Feb 26, 2014 @ 21:54:05

I am going through this right now and if you have anymore encouraging words please post!