All the Small Things

I’m a believer in signs from God. I truly am because throughout my life, that’s one way God has confirmed or denied me of things I prayed for fervently. The Bible does declare that, “The fervent prayers of the righteous availeth much,” right? So it comes as no surprise when a cloud is in a certain shape, a license plate speaks to a situation, someone accidentally bumps into me and shares a a scripture that was necessary, etc. I am very vigilant to the ways and people of God and I try not to let anything go unnoticed, which explains this…….

On Wednesday, when I arrived to my classroom, I noticed a ladybug on my calendar. I immediately started beaming because I knew what ladybugs symbolized: luck (or in my case blessings because I don’t believe in luck per se), money, and love. Now, I can stand all the blessings a person can get so ladybug, bring them to me. Money, well, who wouldn’t want to add to their financial bliss and investments? Love, now that’s the one that gets me. I am newly divorced and I have been struggling with all the emotions of what I used to call a “failed marriage” but now I see it as an experience and a lesson. So love isn’t my forte right now or at least in the secular sense. However, there has been this new blossom of love in my life – Christ. I am working on renewing my life through Christ and living solely for Him so was that confirmation that I am on the right path?

Or did you forget that my next book is about a ladybug? Yes, a precious ladybug named Lillith. I believe Lillith came to visit me to remind me that the little things in life often go unnoticed, but if you pay attention you just might catch a glimpse of magic in the making. I was so excited to see the ladybug that I told everyone at work about her and the next day when I arrived at work, Lillith was still there. It was ethereal at that point, and I just sat for minutes and marveled at speckled body.

“Why are you still here?” I asked as I placed her tiny body on the palm of my hand and watched in amazement as she traveled the lines of my palm as if she were enroute to some destination.

Lillith flapped her wings in response and continued to circumnavigate. I placed her back on my desk and I proceeded to prepare for my students. About two hours later, I began to look for Lillith but she was nowhere to be seen, so I counted my joy for her brief presence and took my students to the library. After they began their assignment, I stole away to the restroom to lament on Lillith’s leaving. I stood in silence while leaning against the wall and eventually walked to the mirror and looked at my face. I fixed out of place hairs, reapplied lipstick, and turned to view my hair for a side view when I noticed a minuscule orange dot on my sweater. Guess who it was? Yes, it was Lillith. She had been on my back the entire time. I was ecstatic.

“Come here, you!” I exclaimed as I peeled her orange, spotted body from my garment.

“I was looking for you, Little Miss Sunshine. I thought I’d lost you FOREVER!” I whispered to her as I placed her in my palm.

At that moment, I realized what happened.  Lilith was a sign from God and was all those things – an increase in blessings, love, and money. That’s what writing does to me: I LOVE to write; I make MONEY from writing; I BLESS others through my writing and in turn I bless myself. She also meant renew – as in my relationship with Christ. Her wings meant “release” – to let Go and Let God. Lillith being on my back was God’s way of testing my vigilance. Will MiMi recognize the little things in life? The little things lead to bigger things and God will always be with me even when I do not see His presence, which goes back to my first book – “How Big is Your Faith?” Lillith had fulfilled her purpose as a sign sent from God.

Hesitantly, I carried Lillith back to the classroom and placed her on my desk and I made no attempt to say good-bye  at the day’s end because it hurt knowing I would not see this tiny speck of perfection again.  I  just felt in my spirit I wouldn’t see her again. She’d fulfilled her mission and as I left the classroom, I smiled and said, “Thank you, little friend. Farewell.” I closed the door gently and walked away.

The next day, I admit to looking for Lillith, but she was not there. She was nowhere in sight – just as God is, and I was reminded that just because we don’t see God, doesn’t mean He’s not there, but always stay vigilant to other ways to hear and see Him.

About these ads

13 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Patricia Tilton
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 18:03:32

Mimi,
    Just getting to my messages and was delighted to find your blog post. Loved your story about the lady bug in your classroom. As I read your post, I was impressed with how observant/vigilent you are — that is a very good place to be spiritually. It also tells me that you listen to inner promptings. And, you look at the negative as lessons — that is tough to do. You are very spiritual and I like that about your posts and writing. Especially in your first book, “How Big is Your Faith.” It’s going to be fun to watch you take off as an author.

I learned many years ago that “observing” helped lift me from unpleasant situations. I could be present during difficult times, and observe the larger picture without reacting. It served me well through tough times. I also learned to “observe” my own behanvior throughout the day without being critical. And, then forgiving myself at the end of every day.

Thank you for you message on my last post. I left a message. What you shared about MLK was powerful.

Pat

2. Paul
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 18:12:59

God has a new door a new way and a new day for you. The Lord bless you my sister
    (Paul)

3. MiMi Atkins
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 18:17:53

Patricia,
    Indeed. Wow, it’s even better that you can observe the larger picture and not overreact. I do that sometimes and then it leads to worse apprehensions. You are right that I am spiritually connected. I just couldn’t imagine a life without having a belief in something outside of the natural. I find my solace and strength in and through God. Thanks for reading and commenting.

4. MiMi Atkins
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 18:19:36

Thanks, Paul. I am so ready to walk into the doors God has opened for me. Which reminds me that when doors closes, windows open. I followed your blog, too. Looking forward to reading.

• Paul
      Jan 22, 2012 @ 03:41:23

Greetings Mimi, many thanks for the follow. I woke up this morning and posted a blog on the “small wins” in life, then I saw that you had followed. So I came to your blog and saw this title about all the “small things.” Now I had visited your blog yesterday, but whats amazing is that I woke up thinking about celebrating the small things. today… coincidence or God speaking?… I choose to believe the latter!
      Have a great day.
      Paul

5. MiMi Atkins
    Jan 22, 2012 @ 18:23:09

Paul,
    Totally an act of God. Word of God speaks – pours down like rain!

6. Martin Day
    Mar 29, 2012 @ 01:30:31

Mimi, I love the way you have share the workings of your heart in the little things that anyone else would just walk past and not notice. It also shows that God knows one of us so well and speaks to us through the things that just I will have eyes to see.

7. adventures
    May 03, 2012 @ 16:26:21

Hi MiMi, I nominated you for a Sunshine Award. I have placed the details here. :-)

• MiMi Atkins
      May 06, 2012 @ 18:38:43

Why thank you! How sweet of you!

• Koji
      Feb 10, 2013 @ 13:12:08

Can we expand clueurtd’ to include heteros that were born in NYC? I’ve seen my fair share of Broadway plays (Les Miz tallies in at 7 times, Phantom at 3 but that’s mainly because I keep going back wondering why people like Phantom), my alcoholic drink of choice is port (with a nice cigar, preferably a Padron Anniversario box-pressed toro or robusto), I find pick-up trucks, SUVs and NASCAR to be abominations to driving (America only produced one car worthy to drool over; the Ford GT) and I can tell you that one of the arias in Purcell’s Dido and Aneas can be found throughout Nine Inch Nails’ The Downward Spiral . Or am I still falling short of the clueurtd bit?

8. Felicia (The Scribe)
    Sep 29, 2012 @ 00:52:25

So much comes to me, as I reflect over what you beautifully landscaped. Ladybug, is what I say when I speak to precious women in my life, especially women of God. I got it from my first spiritual mom. She said it so sweetly and it grabbed me gently. As I matured in Christ, I used it tastefully to refer to women versus saying ‘sista’ or girl.

I just realized that as I write to female prisoners as a ministerial handmaiden of the Lord, I drew ladybugs on their letters and colored them. I love color so I am pleased with this site! I have a children’s ministry in me as well and walk in the gift of teaching. Education has always been a passion and the area of my highest degree so far. I have tried to steer away from blogging, but I know it’s coming: you are a sign to this, succeeding some previous signs that were recent.
    You stated, “Lilith was a sign from God and was all those things – an increase in blessings, love, and money. That’s what writing does to me: I LOVE to write; I make MONEY from writing; I BLESS others through my writing and in turn I bless myself.” I receive this as confirmation due to the route being so similar.

The glorious revelation that I received from what you shared during the heartfelt ‘lament’ was that God is very present at a time of need and does not leave at a time or in a ‘manifested’ way where you cannot bear what seems to be an absence but transfers into a dimension that causes us, His children to look, seek and search for Him. He makes personal visits through his creation that speak of a bestowed love that is so needed. Sometimes He moves into in places, angles, and perspectives that require us to go to the Word of God (represented by the mirror that you looked into, being made in the image of God), and THERE (in His Word) you can keep sight of Him who never leaves you, nor forsakes you! When you were able to trust that God is right there, you were able to let go of the physical sign and except the reality of Lilith’s inevitable departure. Mimi, you are that Ladybug for me on today because today there was a lament deep in my soul that caused me to wonder, ‘Where has my Lover gone, and why can I not find Him?’ I count being led to your page a sign and a wonder to say that He never left! Thank you, Ladybug! :)

9. Armando
    Feb 11, 2013 @ 03:57:11

Jenny thank you for these, what a great time! They say a photo is worth a thousand words, but you are able to carutpe much more than that. You are amazing and love you dearly!